Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The language of children....

Last night my 20 month old daughter Brodie said "I love you mommy" for the first time. Of course it did not sound as clear as that but I knew what she said nonetheless. After she said it she clapped for herself and said "yeaaaaah". She is very cute.

Last night my almost 5 year old daughter Jayden said "get out of my room, I need my alone time". That wasn't the first time she said that, nor will it be the last, and unfortunately, it was as clear as that. She did not clap for herself. She did not say yeah. She is also very cute, especially when she is sleeping.

Sidebar: Imagine if I said "get out of my room, I need my alone time". LOL, yeah right - I'm sure everyone would clear the room and let me have a few minutes to myself. Maybe even bring me a coffee.

It is amazing to me the process of learning language. You want your children to be cute and adorable and say cute and adorable things. As a parent, and I think most will agree, those first few years when they are learning to talk, their pronunciation is off, their tenses are off and quite honestly we like it - we laugh at it - we call our friends and relatives and share about the funny things that were said, how they were said, why they were said. We love these moments, cherish them, better organized people than me write about them in a journal.

Life goes on, children get older, we teach them to speak properly, we teach them to reason, we teach them to express themselves, we teach them to argue....and, we wish for silence. When the constant noise, endless chatter stops, I miss it.

It is 10 pm. Jayden has just fallen asleep. Have a good night,

Audra











No comments:

Post a Comment